Multiplatform Image Viewing Issue

This topic is 7379 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I am an in-house FileMaker developer in a multi-platform (Mac/PC) company.

We have an Ethernet network and the Filemaker server is located on the Windows NT 4 server. We still have a few Mac OS 9 and the only way that I could run FileMaker solutions from those machines without using Dave software (we don't own Dave) is to run them via "Open Remote".

The solution heavily relies on images and unfortunately, everything works fine except for images. Instead of showing JPEG pictures, it shows an error message inside the picture frame: "Unable to draw picture: picturename.jpg". The images are located on a series of subfolders on a different folder other than FileMaker server home folder.

Can anyone help me solve this problem? I really appreciate any advices or comments as well.

Thank you,

Saeed

[color:"blue"]

Make sure that "store compatible graphics" is selected in FMP's preferences on *all* client computers especially the Windows boxes.

You'll probably have to cut and paste all existing images to update them.

Thank you Vaughan. I double checked "store compatible graphics" on client computers both on checked and unchecked status, but the problem is still there.

I am not clear about what you said about cut and paste though.

Saeed

If a user pastes an image into a container field or a layout, FMP creates a preview image to speed up its display. To save space it only saves the preview image in a format native to the OS the client used. To get FMP to store previews for both platforms you've got to have the "compatible graphics" preference set. From then on, all *new* images will have both preview images and work on Macs and Windows.

However, any *existing* images inserted when the preference was unchecked won't have compatible previews. You need to re-insert all the images to get FMP to make the previews for both platforms.

When I checked all client computers preferences (Mac and PC) the "store compatible graphics" was checked on. But I installed FileMaker Pro on those computers after data entry. Is this where the problem comes from?

I don't know where the problem is coming from to solve it, please help!

Thank you,

Saeed

This topic is 7379 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.