Merge Fields

This topic is 7357 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hello all.

I've got a simple DB program, and I need to be able to do something, but don't know how to do it. It's developed as a runtime solution.

I have some static text with a merge field in it. What I need to do is allow that information to be selected and copied...if I create a global field with the static text in it, is there a way I can insert a merge field into that global field?

The end result is the end user being able to copy the entire field to paste into a text document. Or, perhaps a script to export the static text and merge data into a text doc?

Example: static text static text <<related::related_data>>

I'm pretty certain something like this can be done, I'm just pretty new to FM scripting.

Thank you,

Dave Gammage

Two ways: one uses the Substitute() function in a calculation field, the other uses a scripted copy/paste then the Find/Replace step. Both have their pros and cons.

The Substitute function method does not need a "merge" process, it's all done with calculated fields but all formatting in the original letter text is lost.

A scripted merge process is needed to use Find/Replace, but it has the advantage of retaining character formatting in the original text (but neither method retains paragraph formatting).

OK, how would I perform these functions? I understand the theory, but the syntax is what stumps me.

For example, this is part of an application that creates URL redirects for different scripting languages. The code remains the same, but the website address changes per record. I currently have something like

this:

<cfLocation url=

Lots of books. The thin ones are of little use. The think ones take too much time to read.

Probably faster and better to either post to the forums, or make a list and occasionally pay a developer/trainer to come around for some one-to-one work.

This topic is 7357 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.