Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Yet another Newbie...

This topic is 7387 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

First time post. Complete newbie. Appologies in advance if this is the wrong place to post this 'cry' for help. I'm exploring 'Product Catalog' template included with FM 6, and... I'm stuck.

What I need is an extra two fields. One for 'Order Qty' where the customer can enter required quantity, and the second where it will total the cost based on the price & Qty entered. This might seem really simple to some of the guru's here, but here is the twist... the whole product catalog & ordering is to be

held on a CDROM. But CDROM is Read Only, so how can I go about making 'Product Catalog' orderable from CDROM.

Any ideas ?? Many thanks in advance.

Polish Paul

Paul:

What you can do is put a file on the CD that the user would copy to their computer. This file would hold the actual orders and would relate to what's on the CD.

Or, you could tell folks that when they get the CD, they've got to copy the whole thing to their hard drive to use it for ordering... I've never bothered to look at the templates in the modern releases of FMP (I don't even put them on my computers) so I can't be more specific than that.

HTH

-Stanley

Hi Paul:

If you want to distribute your solution on a CD, you will need to make a runtime solution, unless the people you are giving it to already have FileMaker. To make runtimes you need FM Developer.

BUT, If you want consumers to be able to order products from you, you might want to consider making this a web application, like a shopping cart solution. This is sort of the conventional way of doing it. You will need a few things:

1. FM Unlimited

2. A public web server (or a pc that has a publically accessible IP)

3. A FileMaker file shopping cart solution (there are some templates, or you can make your own)

Hope this helps!

Ken

This topic is 7387 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.