Server Maintenance This Week. ×

One to Many Relationship troubles

charly

This topic is 7373 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I have two files, one called People, another called Notes. What I need is for there to be many Notes records for one People record, but I can't seem to figure that one out... I have created one relationship from the People to the Notes with the "create related records" box checked, but it isn't letting me create many Notes records attached to one People record. I have several fields in the Notes file which are looked-up from the People file, for which I created a second relationship - is that where I went wrong? Or am I missing something really simple here?

Thanks in advance

Charly

Hi Charly,

Have you created a portal on your layout yet? If not, create a portal (which is based on your relationship to your notes file). Because you've got your relationship set up to auto-create related records, your portal will always display a blank row at the bottom. When you click in a field in the portal on that blank row and start entering data, a new record will be created in the notes file that is associated with the people record you're currently viewing.

Hello,

What are the keys you're using ? It should be PeronID matching PersonID in the Notes.fp5 file.

Also, your lookup may not work for the first related record if you don't exit the record after its creation (in the People file) prior to entering some values in the portal.

This topic is 7373 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.