How to print layout design

This topic is 7366 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

If you go into "Preview" Mode, you will see what will be printed when you "Print" Records. In other words, If you have selected print "Current Record", you will see one record, if you have selected "Records being Browsed" you will see all of the records in the current found set.

HTH

Lee

Choose the Print command.

Somewhere under all the options you'll see one to print "blank record showing fields..." with a pop-up menu to select how the fields are displayed.

I don't see any of the things you mentioned. When I do File/Print, I get a dialog box which I believe came from the HP printer and not Filemaker. This dialog box does not have "blank record showing fields..".

Anyway, there is another reply to this post saying it can't be done. In any case, thanks for coming in.

complete-db said:

This cannot be done. I've been asking FMI for years to add this feature.

Good Luck!

P.S. "blank record showing fields..." just prints the layout the way it would look in preview mode only with boxes where the data would be, not field name.

Wow! It will be really helpful to get a print out when working with hugh layouts and also for paper documentation purposes.

Is it possible to print the "Define Fields" list (printing out the list of fields for the file as seen in Define Fields)? I know you are likely to tell me "no". Thanks.

Hi John,

You are correct, I did miss read your question.

You can't do what you want to do, at least not by using the Print Menu.

About the best you can do, is to use the Design Functions available in FileMaker to pull out the information, or use one of programs available here.

http://www.fmfiles.com/dev1.html

and

by Bob Weaver

HTH

Lee laugh.gif

Hey Lee!

Thanks for the links! They are just what I was looking for - documenting layout fields, database schema etc.

I tried out the Bob Weaver tool and it reminds me of MS Access 2.0 (Don't know if this has changed for Access XP) where the database schema, design etc cannot be printed out. And to do that we use a add-on to analyse/print. This add-on comes in the form of a Access database (mdb file) just like Bob Weaver's tool which is also a fp5 file.

I just got started in Filemaker 2 days ago and learnt a lot. smile.gif Many thanks.

This topic is 7366 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.