Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Auto close/open server files

This topic is 8405 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Our office recently purchased FileMaker Server, and I have transferred all of our FM files to the server. My IT people told me that in order for them to do backups over the network, I have to close the files before I leave the office daily. That's not the problem; the problem is opening them again before the first users arrive at 7 a.m. (an hour before I do) and need to access the files. I use Timbuktu to remotely administer FMServer and haven't yet found instructions on how to write an open/close script for the server. We use Windows NT on PCs. I found information on scripting with AppleScript, but since we don't have MACs anymore, that does me little good. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

No Problem ..... Just schedule these two bat files to stop & start the FMServer NT Service ..... Drop them on the root of your FMServer Drive...

and Have NT Scheduler Service run them at designated times...

By the way, it's a good idea that when installing FileMkaer Server to ask for a custom install and install the directory FMServer on the Root of your Data Drive, not in the "Programs Folder !!

===============================

@ECHO OFF

d:FMSERVERFMSERVER START

EXIT

@ECHO OFF

d:FMSERVERFMSERVER STOP

EXIT

Be sure and save these as .BAT FILES !!!

That should do it .... have been doing it for years and never a problem...

Set up a shared volume on your file server, mount that volume on your FileMaker Server, have FileMaker backup the files throughout the day to the shared volume.

Your file server can backup itself as normal, you can exclued the FM server from it's backup. You need not backup the FM Server, as all files have been saved to the fileserver.

You shouldn't have to start up your files evey morning. (except for updating the "today" function- see elsewhare on this forum)

There should be something on the PC that is equivelant to AppleScript.

If all else fails, get a iMac as the FM Server, The end users will never know the difference.

Set up a shared volume on your file server, mount that volume on your FileMaker Server, have FileMaker backup the files throughout the day to the shared volume.

Your file server can backup itself as normal, you can exclued the FM server from it's backup. You need not backup the FM Server, as all files have been saved to the fileserver.

You shouldn't have to start up your files evey morning. (except for updating the "today" function- see elsewhare on this forum)

There should be something on the PC that is equivelant to AppleScript.

If all else fails, get a iMac as the FM Server, The end users will never know the difference.

This topic is 8405 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.