Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Import Picture script step

This topic is 7362 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I am using FM4.1 on Win 2000 server with 6 win2000/win 98 clients running FM4.0 and 4.1 (updater 3)

Had a problem with pictures which I was imbedding in DB causing DB to grow to 800mb.

After advice from forum changed to import picture script with tick box "store only reference". DB dropped to ~20mb and everything fine (about 18 months ago).

Noticed in last few months that DB had grown to about 400 mb. Checked to see that users were ticking box by changing active directory so that linked pics showed as "cant display XXXX.jpg" and for those that did show a picture assumed were imbedded and then deleted those picture. - Fine

DB growing again so did a test. - cleared all "illegal pics (those that showed up as image" and carefully re insered them as store only reference to pic and checked file size again. Grown again and pictures inserted and not stored as reference???

I checked whole DB and older photos (>6 months) were stored as links only and recent photos imbedded as images (even though tick box "store only reference" set.

Tt appears that the tick box "store only reference" now doesn't work and is imbedding pictures.

Tried on the server and on win 98 and win 2000 clients and same result!

I AM CONFUSED! What am I doing wrong or what has happened to DB import scrip step?? confused.gif

• Newbies

I was thinking over my problem and realised that at time my problem started I updated several users (including the server) to FM 4.1.

Is it possible that FM 4.1 had a bug in it in that "ticking the box" was ignored and the whole photo was stored rather than the reference only???.

In the next few day (when time permits and I can get the users off the system - its like chopping their right arm off when they cant access the system- they cant do a thing without the FM database running - good reference for FM!) I will try on a copy of the DB and reinstall FM4.0 on the server and do some tests - any comments in the meantime???

Suggesteions appreciated or any other possible changes between FM4 and FM 4.1

Hi, Neville! Here's a link to FileMaker version history http://www.filemaker.com/products/fm_versions.html, but there' not much there to explain your problem. Detailed fix informatioin can be found at http://www.filemaker.com/support/updaters.html where you can type your OS and version and get the update and/or just view the fix list. There is quite a lot to read, though. --ST

This topic is 7362 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.