FM Server not serving all files

This topic is 7366 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi Folks,

Our IT folk are trying to move from a Mac OS 9 based FM Server (5.5) to a Mac OS X (10.2.8) based FM Server (5.5).

In our initial testing when we try to serve one folder containing 12 files to the Mac OS X based FM Server, only 9 of the 12 files are available when viewed from a remote machine.

Yet when I copy the same folder to my Mac OS X (10.2.8) mac, I can serve them via my single user FileMaker Pro (6) just fine. i.e. all 12 files appear when accessed from a remote machine.

Is there some 'known' issue unknown to me?

Thanks in advance.

Peter

Deakin University

Australia

Some of the files may be set as single user. If so, FM Server won't serve them unless you have turned on the single user option in FM Server. I don't have access to FM Server at the moment, so I can't tell you exactly where to look, but it should be in the documentation.

I remember awhile back I also had a similiar problem but with one single file. No matter what I tried nothing worked. So I pulled the file off the server and tried to open it on my local machine. Which it did open AFTER peforming a consistency check.

I then closed the file put it back in the FmServer folder and FMServer opened it with the no problem. I have not read anything on this anywhere. But I would assume the way the file was last closed kept FMServer from opening it. If any one else here knows exactly why, I would like to know the reason myself.

Thanks, Michael

Make sure you're running FMS 5.5v4 for MacOS X, anything less has data corruption issues.

Close all files from FMS and open them in FMP. Watch for corruption (evidenced by consistency checks on startup) and check each file's multiuser status. Some may be single user, some might also be set to multiuser hidden.

Peter:

I've also noticed that FMS on OS X seems reluctant to automatically open files in nested folders - I don't know if this is a real issue, or just some weird error on my part, but I thought I'd bring it up anyway.

-Stanley

This topic is 7366 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.