Creating sub-types

Beno

This topic is 7354 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi everybody !

I'm wondering how it is possible to create subtypes with FileMaker. For example, let's say I have a file clients, but I want to create a distiction between private and professional clients, which have different properties and heritates from the common properties of clients. I would thus like to obtain 3 files : clients, clientspro and clientspriv, the two last being subtypes of the first one. And I still need the file clients, if i have clients that do not match both subtypes.

I'm waiting for your help ;o)

Tanks a lot

Benoit->

One solution which is what you described: In the Clients file, I'd define a field with values that differentiate whether the client is private, professional, etc. It could be a text field, number field, etc. The key field in Clinets is a number SubFile.RecID. In each sub file I'd have a unique key field called RecID, it is auto-entered with a serial number. The Clients file then has relationships from SubFile.RecID to each sub file's RecID.

Is the info for the non-matching clients the same as some of the info for the private/professional? If so, then all that info stays in Clients. if not, I'd create a third sub file so Clients doesn't have empty data for the two sub types.

This topic is 7354 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.