FM network and the internet

This topic is 7346 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have a small group of computers networked together using ethernet. We have used FM with the fastest computer as the host and the rest connected and it has worked great. Yesterday we installed DSL for internet. If I configure the host computer using DHCP it will get on internet fine but none of the other computers can see FM files. You can open a FM file that is on the host computer but if the host has it already open you can not connect. If I configure host using "DHCP with manual IP address" (Address never changes) FM works great but then you can not connect to the internet. One or the other but not both. At all times and with either configuration all the computers will recognize each other and are connected except for the FM host files which you can not see. What settings do I use to be able to use both functions/

You're likely going to need FIleMaker Server and a router. All internal computers can use NAT addresses, with the FM Server computer haveing a static address. Use the router to connect the LAN to the DSL out to the Internet.

HTH

Steven

Thanks for reply - If I purchase FM Server can I use the router we just put on for the internet? We go from the computer to an ethernet hub splitting to the other computers. Then one of the ports breaks off and goes to the Internet router. Is there a link or place I can go to see how everything should hook up after I get FM Server

Two questions. #1 Can I just install FMserver over FM6 and the files will just read as they are? #2 In other areas of FM Forums there are alot of posts regarding lost data, crashes, and general trouble with OSX and server 5.5 I need to stay on FM v6 because we sync to palms with FM mobile each day and I thought that only worked in v6. All our comps are G4 with 10.2 or 10.3 on them. Do I need to be concerned about these problem reports?

FM Server 5.5v4 will be able to host the files created with FMP 6. FMP6 will be able to access files hosted by FM Server 5.5v4. I have been serving my files with FM Server 5.5v4 without any problems. I rarely stop the server and when I do I always check the log after restarting the server to make sure the files have opened properly, which they always have with version 4. The most important thing to remember in serving with OSX is that by closing the FM Server Config program, the files are still being served in the background. You must click on the Stop Serving button in the FM Server Config program to stop serving, then quit the FM Server Config program.

This topic is 7346 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.