Is there a way to name a new file from a field?

This topic is 7344 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi

I have a need to make a new file from an old file at the end of an event.

I have a field called" week number". Is there any way to save a new file ( as a clone with no records) and call it ( name it ) by the contents of the field " week number"?

thanks

STan

Probably need a plug-in to do this.

But to be honest you probably don't want to make new files every time. A relational design is more what you need: make a new *record* for each new event.

Stan:

If you're on the Mac, you can use AppleScript to set up the folder, and then to rename the files, if that's what you want to do.

-Stanley

I'm with Vaughan on this one. Sounds like time to study basic database concepts. This almost guarunteed to be something you really don't want to do. Why do you think you need to do this? Your data becomes inaccessible for any future reporting this way.

Just use a week field in the data record. Database files are not spreadsheet or word processor documents. There are very few cases where you want to use "save as".

Thanks for you answers. I work for an auction and they want to open and close the whole thing everyweek and send certain info to archive. Their former set up was so troublesome from Archiving that some print jobs were becoming rediculously slow.

My goal is to make a folder automatically that saves and entire auction and sets up a new file to do the same thing week after week but just name the folder a different date and have it save there.

Thanks

STan

This topic is 7344 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.