FM Server Runs Windows NT3 Compatability issue

This topic is 7346 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I am about to install a server that uses Windows NT 3. I have a copy of Filemaker Server 5.0 that I want to install on the server. There will be eight computers, running various Windows software (ME, XP, 98 and 2000). Can anyone tell me if I am going to have a compatability issue here?

Version: v5.x

Absolutely. You should really bury NT3...

The code base for NT3 is completely different than any current Windows version that FM supports. You'll need to go to NT4 Server at the very least. Windows 2000 Server ideally.

HTH

Thnaks for your response Wim -

I just got word that we have a donated copy of Windows Small Business Server 2003 that can be installed on this server. That should take care of the server OS, but do I have a problem with these machines running various versions of windows?

This poor old Macintosh bred person needs all the advice he can get when it comes to Windows things.

Regards,

John

There are no known filemaker issues with the client OSs you list. Of those, XP and 2000 are by far the most stable, Me the least.

Don't install all the SBS components on the server if you don't need them (Exchange, SQL Server, ...) they will only take resources away from FileMaker Server and will make the deployment more fragile.

HTH

Wim

This topic is 7346 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.