Server Maintenance This Week. ×

send mail under Win 2000

This topic is 8363 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I moved a database which uses the 'send mail' command within a script to email clients. This worked fine under Windows 98 (rev 2) but has stopped completely when I moved to a Windows 2000 Professional machine.

I used the 'on error' command to see what the problem was but FM doesn't report any error - it appears sinply to ignore the command completely.

I'm using FM Pro 4.0 - all help most welcomed.

You have 3 options:

1. Upgrade to FMP version 5.0. Microsoft Outlook 2000 is based on IMAP4 protocol, where Microsoft Exchange and Outlook Express is based on MAPI. FMP version 4 cannot call IMAP4 mail applications. Upgrading to version 5 resolves this.

2. Install Microsoft Exchange client and remove Outlook 2000 client - but not if you are running Outlook 2000 Server. Exchange client does not work well with it (if at all).

3. The third option would be to replace the "Send Mail" script step with "Open URL" and the "mailto:" tag. This will use the default mail client used by the user's browser. The down side is that you lose some control of the content of the message created.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Newbies

There may be a 4th option...

I was having the same problem with the Send Mail function. I use FM4.0 under Win2K and Outlook 2000, and the script was intermittent - sometimes it created the mail message, sometimes it didn't bother.

I added a Show Message command after the Send Mail command (so the users could say whether it worked or not and re-run the script if it didn't) and since then it's worked every time!

Cheaper than the upgrade to v 5....

This topic is 8363 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.