Database slow to load after re-installing FM5

This topic is 7349 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hi,

I wasn't sure where to post this so apologies if it's in the wrong place/already been addressed elsewhere.

I've just reinstalled Win XP for an organisation and put apps and files back on including File Maker 5. When their database is opened it takes longer to load than it use to - it opens up loads of forms (excuse the Access terminology I haven't used File Maker before).

I increased the buffer size (or something like that) as suggested in the manual but this didn't make any noticeable difference. Is there anything else I can do e.g. is it possible to make it only bring up the initial form when it loads?

Thanks

- Angie

Version: v5.x

Platform: Windows XP

The opening sequence is as the developer made it to happen. More often than not people tend to open all relevant files (tables) at startup.

Is this FM5 client connecting to FileMaker server or opening lcoal files? Did you apply the fm patches after reinstalling (check the filemaker website, I believe the last one for 5.0 is v3).

Clean out all temp files as well, there might be a bunch after the reinstall.

HTH

Wim

• Newbies

Thanks Wim,

The file is shared between two networked Windows machines and is slow to open on either of them (whether opening as host or guest). i didn't install any patches or remove any temp files so I'll see if that helps.

Thanks

- Angie

This topic is 7349 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.