Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Will FM6 be freeware after dismission in sept.?

This topic is 7350 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

If the product line won't be available, how will I buy further licenses of FM6 after that date?

If it will be not possible, then I'll have to convert existing installations (every client), server and every file to 7 in order to extend the number of installations?

It seem that FM7 doesn't open remotely FM5 files served via FMServer. I'm wrong on this?

(Off course I don't expect FM6 to became freeware altrought it would be nice and would be Filemaker's proof that new features justify a version upgrade)

Paolo:

I imagine FMI will still sell you licences after that date - unless they've decided to emulate Microsoft's business model - probably what they mean is that they will stop shipping the boxed version of FMP6...

And yeah, FMP7 is an entirely different beast from what FMServer 5 is serving, so my understanding is that FMP7 is really being released now so that we developers can re-develop existing solutions now, then deploy them when FMS7 comes out in a few months...

-Stanley

There are a lot of installations that are still running Mac OS8/9 machines which are too old to upgrade to OSX. They won't be able to run FM7. I have a couple of clients in this situation. If they need to add more seats to their existing database, they will be SOL unless they can buy more licenses. I think FMI's policy is to continue selling licenses to customers who already have a site license. If there is no existing site license, there could be a problem.

This topic is 7350 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.