Exporting digital files from FM7

This topic is 7371 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Just been cruising around the Demo of FM7 and my dream features ain't there: to export digital images to a folder with the primary key as the file name from which they came. Yes, you can do this under the edit menu one image at a time (and thats after I've had to assign the primary key to the file name via Photoshop) via Export Field Contents. Try doing that for a thousand images!

And yes there is a similar script step but it seems to assign the file name in sequences that don't relate to the primary key of the file: this is important so I know where that image belongs when it comes back from printing with the file name on the back of the print.

I hope I am missing the bleeding obvious, but I don't think FM7 designers see the point of image mangaement: easy ways of getting the files OUT of the data base. Even iPhoto does a better job.

And there appears to be no way to apply a file name to the digital image from within FM7. Again photoshop has to be used

Any comments? confused.gif

Version: v6.x

Platform: Mac OS X Panther

Shooting from the hip but how about using the new script parameter function? Could it be used to built a pathname. Our better yet what if you created a custom function (assuming you have developer) that would create the folder name based on the primary key? Just a couple of random thoughts. Without tinkering and playing around with things it is hard to say what is or is not possible.

• Newbies

Thanks ken. Script parameter function - i haven't got that far yet, I don't have developer and thats part of the problem. I'm just providing solutions for myself so I don't want to go too deep. The way of getting images out of FM has been a source of immense frustration in the past. Its a bit like having a beautiful garage made for my fleet of Rolls Royces, parking them inside and finding that the key for the roller door hasn't been made yet. I then have to commission a burglar to get them out! Images stuck inside FM are no use to me,and a superficial glance says that FM7 hasn't addressed the issue, but I certainly hope someone can prove me wrong.

I think they might have addressed your needs but since I don't deal with images like you do it is hard to figure out. The script parameter is available in Pro as well as Developer. The custom Function is available to create in Developer but the pro can use it, you can't define it. Your function shows up on the list when scripting and is very nice. I made a function for find closestdate to test it out it and found it very useful. I might suggest that you look at the FileMaker site as they have 30 new starter files for use with FM7. There is a document management as well as an image management. One of them might give you some ideas to handle your images. Good Luck and happy hunting in FM7.

Version: Developer v7

Platform: Mac OS X Panther

• Newbies

I looked at the image file they had, but again the focus seems to be about getting images into Filemaker, which does seem to be improved under FM 7 since it seems that import from a folder is now scriptable.

Somehow, but I am way not FM experienced enough to tell you how exactly, I think that the GetAsText function could be of use here. If you use that function on a file (a picture, for example), it will return the entire path and filename (and more, but that can be Filtered/Patterncounted/Leftworded out, I suppose?). Something could be built from that, maybe?

• Newbies

Thanks Ano another pertinant observation which i will put in the memory bank for future testing. The frustration ihave is based on the idea that to get where i want is so complex and it should not be so...I'm a photographer not a mathemtician (or very good at spellin)... I have built up a certain FM knowledge but it ain't a lifstyle... as I keep saying iPhoto and photoshop can do it but the FM designers don't seem to have a really good handle on image mangemnt which is ironic since they are essentially Apple and thir marketing thrust is just that: digital asset mangagemnt. But I desparately hope that I will end up being corrected on this issue...

This topic is 7371 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.