Find does not find

This topic is 7322 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I am doing a search on two fields, where I put a word into each field, but it does not bring up all the records that match.

If I browse thru the database I can find records that are not shown after the search.

Is there any way of re-indexing the database?

A word in both fields would be an AND find, which means that you are searching for records that have the word in BOTH fields. What you are describing I believe is an OR Find, meaning you are wanting any records that have the word in either field. To do this, Enter Find Mode, type your word in the first field, Do a "New Record Request" (Cmd N on a Mac), and enter your word into the Second Field

Hit the Continue Button.

HTH

Lee

cool.gif

No, I do want to do an AND find.

If I only search in one of the fields, it still omits records that should not be omited.

As I said, when I browse records I can see records with the text "jcm" in it, but when I do the search for "jcm" it won't find them.

I didn't say you wanted a AND find, I said it sounded like you were performing an AND find. There is a BIG difference in these two finds.

Is jcm the only entry in these fields? or part of additional text. If it is by itself, are they grouped together when the field is sorted?

If jcm is part of other text, then it is being effected by what is before or after it.. Would it be possible to give us an example of what isn't being found, compared to what is being found? Expand on what else is in the field besides jcm.

Lee

Sorry if I was unclear in my first posting.

The field is a free text field with jcm is a word of its own within the free text field among other text.

It has been working up until yesterday, so it seems like the indexing for the field has been damaged (if that is possible in filemaker).

Is there a way of reindexing the database?

If it was working and then broke, I wonder if this is a sign of corruption in your file. frown.gif

Of course there might be something else that could be causing this, so lets hope others will chime in here, or this fixes your problem, I would be curious if this could indicate corruption though, and if so, it might be a good idea to move the data to a clean backup.

I'll keep my fingers crossed that this is fixable and not the feared "C" word.

Lee

smile.gif

Lee,

I did a test on a copy of the database and after removing and adding the indexing it is now working. It sounds to me as the index got damaged in some way.

I am in the process of moving all information to a clean database, so hopefully I will not have the problem in the future.

Thanks for your help.

This topic is 7322 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.