This topic is 7335 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I am trying to create a schedule database for printing presses that is day to day/shift to shift specific, based on a start and end time (or run time). I know that I might have to do some work to get it all linked properly, I am just trying to find a plug-in that might help.

Any suggestions?

Thank you

Version: Developer v6

Platform: Mac OS X Panther

stac.

You can use look for the Ranges plug in or Date & Time Plugin or in this forum Smart Ranges or even upgrade to FMP7 this will allow you to do in with relationships.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Newbies

I am trying to develop a similar project scheduling solution for concept/design/production for a design firm. The client requires that it determines start date when entering a due date or visa versa through three stages, utilizing dates or adjustable turnaround times for each step. I have run into issues regarding the ability to modify start or due dates of the separate stages because they are calculation fields. Any ideas or where i can see the Ranges plu-in?

This is probably one of the classic cases of "can you get them to upgrade to 7?" In 7 I believe all you'd need to do is to define each of the calculation fields as date fields, with the option to auto-enter the calculation, with the new option to update whenever one of the calculation's fields changes.

You can simulate this in earlier versions, using a triggered lookup. But each current calc field would need both a "trigger" field and a calculation field (with the existing calculation).

So, when you change one of the relavent fields, the trigger recalculates (it doesn't change, just recalculates), causing the lookup to occur.

The trigger must result in the unique Serial ID for the record (job_number in yours). There is a relationship between the trigger and the Serial ID. The lookup relationship is built on that. So basically you're looking up the calculation field in the current record.

I've done it for the first one, concept due.

MF_Project_fej.zip

Oh yeah. Also noticed a field defined as Status(CurrentDate). But it's stored. It will never change, so it's the same as creation date. If it's Unstored, then it changes, but then it ain't stored. Catch 22. There's solutions, but it depends what you want it to do. Today() is deprecated, it's not even in v.7.

Now that I think about it, why do you need to direct edit the dates anyway? The idea is to change the number of days that it takes to do something, not change the dates directly.

When I tried to set up a similar lookup for the Time number, it would not let me. Because the date is dependent on the time, even though it's a lookup, FileMaker will not let you do the same thing for the time, basing it on a change in the dates.

There might be a way to do this with a script. But, at that point, you really have to ask why. Maybe someone else knows how to trick FileMaker into doing this?

I'm talking to myself :-| Anyway, a quick test in v.7; it has no problem with allowing you to define the time field as dependent on the dates, and the dates dependent on the time. Not that that really helps right now, if they need Server, but someday soon.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.