Server Maintenance This Week. ×

2 Byte words conversion to FMP7 from FMP6

This topic is 7349 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I am unable to move my Traditional Chinese fields to FMP7. I originally imported them in my FMP6 as plain ASCII, then assigned a Chinese Font to each Chinese field.

This system no longer works. Converting the tab-text files returns unpredictable results: Word seems the only program able to operate, however if I create a text-Tab file exporting every Traditional Chinese field, then saving it as Unicode-Text, FMP7 just refuses to convert. If I import one field at the Time it works around 50% of the time. Other conversion through Text-Edit-Plus, Apple's Tex-Edit or Cyclone never deliver valid files.

Another headache comes from Word. It converts Linefeeds within fields in Carriage returns, changing the records structure of the imported file.

The best converter so far is Sys9 Simple text ... it delivers perfect Chinese files. Totally useless with FMP7.

So far I was able to update only a few records, and none of them was complete as the longest text fields in Traditional Chinese cannot be imported.

Any hints?

Thanks from Taiwan

Have you tried using the WorldText application on OS9? I don't really know if this app will even do conversions, but Apple supplies it as an example app that is supposed to work with any world script. It might be worth checking out.

If you would like to email a sample of your tabbed export from your old db, I will have a look. Normally the procedure should be to open the tabbed file in a Unicode-savvy app like TextEdit, convert from Big5 or whatever it is to UTF-8, and import into FM7 like that. [email protected]

This topic is 7349 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.