Portal Entry has me STUMPED

Munchie

This topic is 7318 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have a database that I use to track Mortgages. I have a contact log, which is a portal, that I use related scripts to do data entry. (Keeping the phantom record out of my portal.)

Last week, I made some updates to the database, mostly layout changes, and now, new records will not show up in the portal. All records that were previously there, are still there, and new records I put in, show up in the "Contact Log" child file. However, new records don't show in the portal itself.

I've rebuilt the portal, the relationship, and the fields. Same thing.

Another strange aspect, I went into the child DB directly, and duplicated a record that is still showing up, and the new duplicate record will not show in the Portal.

What have I done here?? I've built tons of portals now, and never had this happen.

I'm sure that I'm simply having a mental meltdown on this, so don't assume that I did the basics. I've had to of missed something simple.

Version: Developer v6

Platform: Windows XP

Do you have any unzipped copies of any of the files on your system? I admit I've had a few similar experiences and each time the Main db was making a relationship to a backup copy of the child db. I know you said you rebuilt your relationships but did you make sure you were accessing the correct directory containing your child file at the time? It's an easy thing to miss. Your portal probably is looking to another child file somewhere and that is why the data won't change when you duplicate a record or add new records in your 'real' child file. Now I only keep zipped copies of backup data because FM has a habit of always trying to go back to the last directory accessed.

I hadn't thought of that, however, I use server, and it always backs up to a different computer that Server doesn't have access to. I also use a different computer for doing development.

Server wouldn't be able to open any unzipped file on any system.

Thanks for the idea.

• 4 weeks later...

To follow up with what happened here, as always, I made a simple error, and turned it into a huge crisis.

This particular database is going to be used by some people outside of our company, so I copied the database, and changed the relationship, so that people outside the company couldn't see the logs for all of our clients.

I forgot to update the portal with the new relationship. <DOH!>

Thanks for the help!

This topic is 7318 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.