Data Disappearing

This topic is 8377 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I'm having a problem with data disappearing and I can only think it has something to do with a simple script. I have 2 layouts in a single, non relationship, database that has 96 records. One layout is for teachers at my school to input test scores, the other is for printing the scores. The data entry layout has color and directions for them, the printing layout is bw and has a header- the teachers never view this layout. On the data entry layout I have 2 buttons. One is simply a "find a student" button so the teachers don't have to go manually go to find mode to find their student's record. The other button is the one that I think might be causing the problem. It is a button that contains a script. When pressed, the script goes to the printing layout, page set up, prints the current record and then takes the user back to data entry layout. My problem is that 75% of the time it works great, the other 25% of the time, it prints the first record in the db and then wipes out all of the info (test scores) that I just inputted into the current record!!! It doesn't get rid of the record (name and date fields are still there), just empties the fields that just had data! I have no clue what's going on! Anybody else???

quote:

Originally posted by lyalem:

I'm having a problem with data disappearing and I can only think it has something to do with a simple script...I have no clue what's going on! Anybody else???

No.

Sorry, but without seeing your script how can we possible know what you are doing?

Given your information, you must have a series of commands that clears a bunch of data fields. However there could be perhaps 1000 other reasons why this is going on.

Your overview was great! Give some details though. Platform/OS version, FMP version, script steps, etc. Then we can probably help with your problem.

Thanks for trying to help me! I am using Mac OS- various and assorted depending upon what computer teachers are sitting at! Any where from 7.6-9.0. It seems to be happening on all versions. I am using Filemaker client and server 5.0v2. Here is my script for the button that is on the "data entry" layout:

go to layout [printing]

enter preview mode

page setup [no dialog]

print [ no dialog]

enter browse mode

go to layout [data entry]

there is definitely nothing in there about clearing fields!!! Plus it doesn't clear all the fields. I already imported the names of all of the school's students in name fields and the school year in another field so that teachers just "find" the student they need to input scores on. These fields don't get cleared when the others do!

Thanks again for helping... it's a mystery

Thanks for trying to help me! I am using Mac OS- various and assorted depending upon what computer teachers are sitting at! Any where from 7.6-9.0. It seems to be happening on all versions. I am using Filemaker client and server 5.0v2. Here is my script for the button that is on the "data entry" layout:

go to layout [printing]

enter preview mode

page setup [no dialog]

print [ no dialog]

enter browse mode

go to layout [data entry]

there is definitely nothing in there about clearing fields!!! Plus it doesn't clear all the fields. I already imported the names of all of the school's students in name fields and the school year in another field so that teachers just "find" the student they need to input scores on. These fields don't get cleared when the others do!

Thanks again for helping... it's a mystery

[ May 16, 2001: Message edited by: lyalem ]

What kind of scores are you entering - text or numbers? And how is the field for scores set up? Number? Text? Global? Repeating? I am guessing here, but perhaps you are entering text grades ( A+, B-, F, etc.) into a number field.

This topic is 8377 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.