Server Maintenance This Week. ×

My View On FM7

This topic is 7345 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

After creating FM7 Databases vs FM6 Im very pleased.

My favortite New things With FM7 In Order

1) Multiple Relationships! We finnally have multiple relationships in FM7 on multiple fields. Before in FM6 we had to combine fields to create a multiple relationship. Not only that In FM6 Theres a 22 character relationship check in FM7 you wont have that problem as much since you can you multiple fields. This also saves you from creating extra useless fields for multirelationships.

2) Users can now change calculation fields. Before in FM6 you could not edit a Calculation field in browse mode.

3) Color Font Size Based on calculation... This is great for showing errors etc.

4) 8 terrabytes of data per file.. This was something I was worried about in FM6 (2 gigbytes)

5) Tables! You can now basically have one file for everything!

6) Creating your own functions! We finnaly dont have to repeat stuff over and over again in some cases.

7) The Web. Very Very Very Nice work on this. You basically need 0 knowledge of html to do this.

8) Security. FM finnally has some good security.

9) Seems faster.

10) Faster To Develop!

----------------------------------------------------

Things Im a little Concerned about

1)When creating a large database with lots of relationships a graphical view can be a little confusing. And also I wish you can hide or show some scripts based on table insted of seeing 10 million scripts.

-----------------------------------------------------

Things I wish they added still

1)A true way to hide buttons based on calulations (You can do this with containers but if you click where the container would be it will still highlight...)

2)Running a script when leaving a field (yes theres a plugin for this but I wish they added it)

3)A Frames On a screen.. Example like web frames.. This is useful if someone wanted to create a small calendar and maybe some other things.

4) Make FMPro for windows look like FMPro for Mac.. (make it look like a stand alone program almost insted of having the ugly grey background)

Im am very pleased with the new FM Pro7 and think its well worth it to upgrade.

Version: Developer v7

Platform: Windows XP

"2) Users can now change calculation fields. Before in FM6 you could not edit a Calculation field in browse mode."

What do you mean by that? "This action cannot be performed because this field is not modifiable", my FMP7 says, which by the way seems totally logical and unavoidable to me.

"3)A Frames On a screen.. Example like web frames.. This is useful if someone wanted to create a small calendar and maybe some other things."

I'm trying to get my head around the use of the multiple windows one screen, mainly where practical usage is concerned, apart from 'several ways to view the same data' (which is already the bees knees, IMHO). In some of my horrible constructions, I like to have my navigation buttons always visible, for example, which I now can do by putting them in a separate window.

2) Under AutoEnter (In defining fields) Click On Calculation and specify ... Do your calculation click ok and theres a new option that says "do not replace value for field (If Any)" Click that on or off if you want to edit a calculated field.

Secret is to use Ifs..

Example make a field called Name

IF(Name=Bob, "Bob Jones", Name)

then type the word Joe in Name and nothing with happend

then try bob and jones will appear right beside it

AvrioTech said:

7) The Web. Very Very Very Nice work on this. You basically need 0 knowledge of html to do this.

I please varify that you are talking about 'Instant Web Publishing'.

"Users can now change calculation fields. Before in FM6 you could not edit a Calculation field in browse mode."

"Under AutoEnter (In defining fields) Click On Calculation and specify ... Do your calculation click ok and theres a new option that says "do not replace value for field (If Any)" Click that on or off if you want to edit a calculated field."

But an AutoEnter field is not a calculation field.

This topic is 7345 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.