Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Deleting Fields

This topic is 7343 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I just received V6 Developer and after converting some databases over from V4.1 I tried to delete a field in one of them. After choosing 'delete' my Mac crashes giving me an Error Type 3 message. I cannot delete any fields without getting this message. Any suggestions?

Version: v6.x

Platform: Mac OS 9

Did you try the "standard" OS <=9 steps to diagnose crashing? Not in priority order...

1) delete FileMaker preferences

2) restart after crashing

3) increase FileMaker's memory

4) startup without 3rd party Extensions & Control Panels

I don't remember if FileMaker will run when you startup with the shift key down (Extensions & Control panels disabled). Give it a try.

5) reinstall V6

Did you try the "standard" OS <=9 steps to diagnose crashing? Not in priority order...

1) delete FileMaker preferences

2) restart after crashing

3) increase FileMaker's memory

4) startup without 3rd party Extensions & Control Panels

I don't remember if FileMaker will run when you startup with the shift key down (Extensions & Control panels disabled). Give it a try.

5) reinstall V6

Thanks. I tried those steps and it still crashes. (FYI: FileMaker will not run after turning the extensions off.)

I'm also having the same problem on my PC. It is a database that I originally upgraded with the Demo version offered by FMP. Could it have been corrupted on the upgrade?

Thanks. I tried those steps and it still crashes. (FYI: FileMaker will not run after turning the extensions off.)

I'm also having the same problem on my PC. It is a database that I originally upgraded with the Demo version offered by FMP. Could it have been corrupted on the upgrade?

> m also having the same problem on my PC. It is a database that I originally upgraded with the Demo version offered by FMP. Could it have been corrupted on the upgrade?

That would be my conclusion. Hopefully you have the original?

As an alternative, don't delete them; just change them to unstored calc fields, text calc, = "DELETED". Note also that if you ever have to import data from an old system to a new system,l deleting fields can cause problems with your import order. Instead, rename them as described and choose "creation order" when importing.

This topic is 7343 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.