Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Portal Confrontation

This topic is 7343 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have tried on two different simple test databases to create a portal. One main table with a sub table connected via relationship by ID fields. Relationship and portal creation was easy, but I cannot enter any records in the portal. When you click on the portal it flashes but you cannot enter into the field to create a record. You can go to the Sub table and enter a record with a matching ID value to the Main table, fine, but when you go the Main table and view the form with the portal there is no data visable in the portal. I have covered all the extras, like making sure field format is setup properly, you know allow entry and so forth. I am not a novice at this, but being unable to do something like this out of the box is absolutely frustrating. Can sombody please point out that I am missing something simple. Otherwise my estimation ot the new Filemaker 7 is heading south.

And by the way the new chm help file in Filemaker is definitely a step backwards. Chm help files do not allow you the ablility to increase the font size (important for some folks) and is generally not as efficient as past help files.

Anyway thanks for any help on the portal issue. Graham

Version: v7.x

Platform: Windows XP

Thanks for the thought Bcooney, but yes I went thru all the possiblities associated with relationships, portals, etc. I am dumbfounded at this point. Something that was so simple in past versions...... unless I am the simpleton. Eeekk!!!!

Version: v7.x

Platform: Windows XP

Try this simple file out and see if it does what you need. No password or account name on it. Has two tables; Parent and Child linked by a number field called ID. I created the relationship on the graph by drawing a line between them. I double clicked on the "relationship indicator" and set it to allow creation of child record as well as creation of parent record. With FM7the relationship is bi-directional which is why you have the ability to control record creation on either table. Hope this simple file answeres your questions.

Version: Developer v7

Platform: Mac OS X Panther

This topic is 7343 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.