a network solution?

This topic is 7337 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi we currently have a FM5.5/6 network solution with a copy running on a server as a host. I also access it remotely via ADSL.

We need to upgrade with extra licences (I guess that means to v7).

I am confused as to the benefits of using FM server as distinct from the solution we have now. Of course Server v7 isnt even available yet.

At the moment we are using about 5 licences but think will need to have about 8-10.

some thoughts or direction to a web page that discusses it would be great

Version: v6.x

Platform: Mac OS X Panther

FMI have publically stated that FMP 6 will be avaiable for a while yet. I'd be trying to get one of their "X licenses plus FM Server" deals. You'll need FM Server 5.5.

You'll never know how you did without FM Server. It's very easy to set up, it's lean and mean and seriously robust (problems with OS X not withstanding, fixed with FMS 5.5v4). I've seen FM Servers that have been humming away for months unattended, just doing their thing. On Mac OS no less. Windows even better.

Read the FileMaker Server Best Practices White Paper for more info on setup and hardware recommendations. A grunty processor is not required but fast hard disk and network card (and sub-system in-between) is worth investing in. In other words, an iMac would work but a G3 or G4 desktop tower with decent hard disk and faster buss would be much better.

Feature-wise, FM Server allows live scheduled backups, this alone is worth the cost of admission. A remote admin tool and the ability to work on hosted databases caps it off.

This topic is 7337 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.