Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Field borders driving me insane!

ddreese

This topic is 7333 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have a layout with many fields that are non-editable. All the fields are formatted exactly the same, to make sure I used format painter. It's driving me nuts because when I go to different records, I get drop-shadowed looking borders around the fields where other records there is nothing!

Here are some pics so you understand what I'm talking about:

No borders:

borders2.jpg

Borders:

borders1.jpg

I even tried duplicating the layout. It's completely random and for someone who is as anal about the layouts as I am, it's driving me completely insane, I've already spent over an hour with this today. Please help! frown.gif

P.S. - It's dummy information, so don't worry about that

Version: v6.x

Platform: Windows 2000

Does this happen when scrolling through the records, or when you click into a field only on that record?

You say it is completely random. Does it ALWAYS happen to record 3 in the found set above, when sorted in the same way?

It looks like you have a pattern applied to the background of the layout. Have you tried using a solid color instead?

Are the fields transparent, or do they have the horizontal line pattern? Either way, I'm sure it's the pattern that's making it funky. Probably the differences in the data make the video card miscalculate a pixel. Use a solid gray is all I can say.

This is the only layout I'm having problems with, though. I do have a pattern applied to every other screen in the DB (probably 100+ screens) and this is the only one giving me problems.

Yes, the problem is random. I can click into the record (I have a search results list of names, button to click into the above screen) and sometimes it will show correctly, others it will not.

I'd gladly just take the pattern off the BG if I didn't want to keep things consistent throughout the DB.

Have you tried recreating the layout?

I am sure it is the pattern causing the problems and as Fitch says it could be the graphics card having problems refreshing the display correctly.

Did you try switching the layout to a solid color for test purposes?

Is it possible that various records were entered using different fonts/sizes? Fields with text can be formatted using the Format menu.

I had a similar problem, turns out info was pasted into the field from another app, the other app used a different font...

If so, you could make a script to go through records and for each field do a Copy/select and a Paste/select/No style.

This topic is 7333 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.