Calculation or script for dynamic inventory?

This topic is 7305 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I run a little guitar store and I manage all my customers with my FM database, but I'm looking to build it into more robust inventory-management and POS solution. I have built two different ways to update inventory dynamically, one with a calculation (starting inventory plus purchase orders minus shipped orders), the other with a script (subtract one for each order that ships). Both seem to work fine, but I like the interface elegance of the calculation, and I don't like needing an undo script for those times when something changes or an order needs to be revisited. But I don't like to load up on calculations---they can make things sluggish. So I'm wondering if anyone has any sage recommendations as to which approach is preferred.

Thanks!

John

Hi,

One could think scripts aren't dynamic enough, but when dealing with Inventory, compared to a Slow Dynamic calculation (because necessarily involving calculations accross related records), there's no comparisons IMO.

Even if you used Lookups to keep your calcs into indexed num fields, as an Inventory often need to be updated, it would also be easier to do it with a script.

HTH

Version: v6.x

Platform: Mac OS 9

I started to use a calculation method and decided against it. I used scripts to decrement the inventory when an item was sold and to increment it when an item was returned or new items received. I also had an automated purchasing system set up issue Purchase Orders when the inventory reached a set level.

This topic is 7305 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.