Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Setting up backup for "no connection" -situations

This topic is 7335 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi folks !

Is it anyhow possible to set up a local backup system for the situations where the server is down ? I mean a system where solution first tries to open database in server. If there is no connection it uses a database locally and later - in next contact with server - updates all new records to server.

Is it possible to make a fresh backup to local disk every time the database closes (which can then be used if there is no connection to server) ?

Arttu

Version: Developer v6

Platform: Windows XP

"... and later - in next contact with server - updates all new records to server."

This -- the synchronisation -- is the part that's going to be the hardest. Search the forums for previous posts on the subject and generally you'll find that most people either need to make very simple rules for the synchronisation (like, most recent modification is the one we go with) or they find it becomes too difficult to do.

I seem to remember a scam with auto-teller machines some years ago. The mchines did something similar -- cached transactions when the network was down or busy -- so some smart group made several withdrawls at the same time at a peak period, and managed to get out more money that was in the account.

To be honest I can only see the potential for disaster with a solution like this.

This topic is 7335 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.