Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Security Concerns installing Server to root of C

This topic is 7333 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

This is my first post, so I appologize if I am doing something wrong. I just need help with a situation. We are developers of FM solutions. I am doing an install for a government faciltiy. They have very tight security. They have two major concerns. 1. They say it is a major security breach to install FM Server to the root of C. Is there any ay around this? 2. Thay also say it is a major security breach to pass the client password in open text over the network to the data files on the Server. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Jeff Hardesty

Version: Server v5

Platform: Windows 2000

Jeff -

Technically FM doesn't install to the root of C: - it installs to c:program files. I think what they are getting at is it would be more secure if the database files were on a partition other than C:. You can try installing FileMaker Server to D: but I've not done it myself so it may not work. You can also read the FM documentation to see if you can install FM to C: but move the database files to another directory on a different partion. Vaughn is correct that FM Version 7 is "more secure" but FM Server version 7 has not been relesed yet so I'm not sure that you can begin migrating to 7.

And yes, passwords being passed over the network is a big problem. Until the release of FM Server 7 you might read up on using IPSEC filters between Windows server and clients to secure network traffic such as Filemaker.

Will

This topic is 7333 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.