Cursor or Mouse Location on Screen?

This topic is 7281 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Does anyone know a way to capture the position of the cursor(insertion point) and/or the mouse pointer? It seems like we should be able to do this as in Layout mode, if you have the Object Size dialog showing, anytime you click gives you the coordinates of the mouse. This would be useful for positioning windows based on a mouse click.

FileMaker Version: Dev 7

Platform: Windows 2000

I am not really worried about the user moving the window once it is positioned. Let's say you have a layout viewed as a list. You have a button on each record in the list that might bring up a window to show the details of the record. It would be nice to be able to position the window next to the button that the user clicks on so their eyes don't have to go to far to see the new window that came up as a result of the mouse click.

• 2 weeks later...

If you have a field next to every button on the layout couldn't you pass the field name using a script parameter and use the FieldBounds function. This will not get you the exact location of the mouse but it should be close.

FieldBounds ( Get(FileName); Get ( LayoutName ); Get ( ScriptParameter ))

Good luck

Brian

Gday;

there is a plugin called WindowUtility (i forget who makes it but if you search filemaker.com's plugin database you can find it there)

I use it in one of my solutions and as I recall it can capture the mouse position.

If their plugin doesn't work i am sure there are a variety of plugins that do.

Cheers

SG

This topic is 7281 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.