Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Integrating Filemaker 7 into Developer 7

This topic is 7326 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I started out with 2 licenses for Filemaker 6.

I have upgraded one of them to Filemaker 7.

I am anticipating upgrading the other one as soon as I have some proficiency in FM 7.

I am planning on networking the solution with at least three stations and possibly as many as ten. All of the stations will be in the same building.

I would like to make one of these licenses a Developer 7.

Can developer 7 act as a host computer for this network?

Can I integrate the work I have done in filemaker 7 into Developer 7?

Can Developer 7 act as my interface to a server based solution with these other workstations?

Where can I find a synopsis of the differences between Developer 7 and filemaker 7?

Thanks for any input.

Jarvis

Hi Jarvis.

Some answers to your questions:

Q. [color:"blue"]Can developer 7 act as a host computer for this network?

Yes - partly. Developer has the same hosting limitations as FileMaker Pro - it can host up to five client workstations at a time. Because neither are designed for hosting per se, the performance, stability and security will be less than would be expected with FileMaker Server 7 (FMS), which will be released in a couple of months.

Q. [color:"blue"]Can I integrate the work I have done in filemaker 7 into Developer 7?

Yes, you can. Developer incorporates all the features of Pro, but has a few additional options and commands. Developer can do everything that Pro can do and will open and work with the files in precisely the same ways.

Q. [color:"blue"]Can Developer 7 act as my interface to a server based solution with these other workstations?

Not exactly. When your solution is server based (ie hosted by FMS) Developer will be able to access it exactly like any other FileMaker Pro client application. But it will not have any special status as a conduit or interface.

Q. [color:"blue"]Where can I find a synopsis of the differences between Developer 7 and filemaker 7?

Right here:-

Developer 7 has the following additional features:

Custom Functions - the ability to write your own calculation functions to use in calcs.

Database Design Report - produces detailed technical documentation regarding an entire solution.

File Maintenance - options to compact and optimize (defragment) database files on the fly.

Developer utilities - options to create kiosk and runtime files, to rename solution files etc.

Debug Scripts - the ability to step through scripts and sub-script sequences to 'watch' them in operation.

You will find additional details about each of the above features in the online help that comes with FileMaker Pro, and on the FMI web site. Aside from these five menu items and their associated functions and options, Developer looks, feels and runs exactly the same as Pro.

Ray,

Thanks for your response. I am starting to get my head around some of this.

I don't have enough experience to understand the concept of writing my own calculation functions but I can appreciate the ability to debug scripts on a step by step basis.

I am writing a database that is specific to the custom kitchen cabinet industry.

I am doing this to give myself a proprietary advantage but the application might be useful to others. I would like to be able to web publish portions of what I am working on so I can get input from other cabinetmakers. Some of these cabinetmakers don't or won't have filemaker available.

Is this web publishing what you mean by creating a kiosk or run-time file?

Jarvis

Hi,

Jarvis said:

Is this web publishing what you mean by creating a kiosk or run-time file?

No, web publishing is an entirely separate matter. FileMaker Developer does not have any web publishing capabilities over and above those that FileMaker Pro has.

A kiosk solution is one that is mouse driven and from which the overhead menus have been stripped and which runs against a black background (ie users do not see or have ordinary access to the rest of the computer screen. It's the kind of thing you see on touch screens in department stores etc.

A runtime solution is a stand-alone application which can be run on a single computer by a user who does not have a copy of FileMaker Pro installed. It allows developers to distribute their solutions royalty-free and without requiring end-users to own or purchase FileMaker Pro (providing they don't need multi-user access, that is).

This topic is 7326 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.