Can a value list be shifted from a lookup?

stann

This topic is 7296 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hello

I would like to know if it is possible to do the following.

Have a field called "color"

Have a field called "intensity"

a Value list called "Regular" with the following RED, BLUE, GREEN

a Value list called "Pastel" with the following "PINK, GREY, YELLOW"

Is there a way to change value lists if the field "intensity is changed"

so if "intensity " = "REgular" the Regular list gets in the field color through a drop down.

But if "intensity " = "pastel" the pastel value list gets in the field color through a drop down.

I am just trying to find out how to do this?

Thanks

STan

FileMaker Version: 7

Platform: Mac OS X Panther

Try this:

Put all your colors in another table, along with an Intensity field:

Intens. Color

------ -------

regular Red

regular Blue

regular Greeen

pastel Pink

pastel Grey

pastel Yellow

Create a relationship from your main table to the color table, using intensity as the match field in both. Then define the value list to use related values from the color table.

Jeff

In the Relationships tab of the Define Database window add an occurance of your main table (the one where you want the value list to appear) and the new Color table. Connect intensity in the main table with intensity in the color table. By default, the details of the relationship should be the way you want them, but you can double-click the "=" between the tables if you want to see them.

Now, in the Define Value Lists window, select your Colors Value list and click Edit. Select "Use Values From Field". Click Specify Field. Specify the Color table and choose the color field from the list. At the bottom of the window, click "Include only related values" starting from "Main table" (or whatever your main table is called).

Now, whenever intensity = regular, the value list should include Red, Blue and Green. When intensity = pastel, the value list should include Pink, Grey and Yellow.

Hope that helps. Let me know if not.

Jeff

Hi Stan,

Dave asked me to clarify a little more, so I've attached an example file. There are two layouts, one for each table. Look at Define Database and Define Value Lists to see how I set it up. In addition to setting up a dynamic value list based on what's in the Intensity field, the checkboxes that display are based on what's in the Intensity field in the Colors table (visible on the Colors layout). Hope this helps.

Jeff

FileMaker Version: Dev 7

Platform: Windows XP

DynamicValueListsExample.zip

This topic is 7296 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.