Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Relating to a calculation field

giles

This topic is 7317 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

The one thing I've found about this forum is "never say never" ... somebody somewhere seems to have a suggestion. I'm wondering if anybody has such a suggestion for this instance.

Simply ... is there ANY way of forming a relationship to a calculation field?

In this instance, a calculation which forms a date (i.e. some records in my project manager are fixed ... some are set to "today" so that they are returned until the project is finished, where upon the date is set to the finished date)

I'd appreciate any suggestions

Warmest

Giles

FileMaker Version: Dev 6

Platform: Windows XP

If it is truly a date field you wouldn't be able to enter "today" in it, so it's not a date field.

If you're relating to a date field the other field must be a date field, but since you are relating to a text field, the other field must be a text field as well. You could create a new calculation field that converts the date into text [=datetotext(datefield)]

The field in the file that is related to must be indexable. Make sure your calculations have "Do not store calculation results -- calculate only when needed" unchecked in Storage Options. If FileMaker won't let you turn this off, a field in the calculation: cannot be indexed, is a summary, is a global, or comes from a related file. For the cannot be indexed error: is it another calculation that needs to have indexing turned on?

Another way to get around this is to have a normal field (text, number, date time) which has the results of the calculation. This has to be done in a script using Set Field. If the data doesn't change much, this may be the way to go. When I do this, a script sets the fields when records are created & modified.

This topic is 7317 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.