FM7 and SQL

This topic is 7278 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hello everyone. Im currently looking to redevelop a software package and I need your knowledge.

Right now the customer im working with has 2 databases softwares for his business.

1) a custom program that stores data etc..

(This database just stores customer information and rates)

2) a advanced webpage that uses perl DBM databases (3+ gig)

(this database holds all the different zipcodes in the USA, Has the distances from one zipcode to another, timezone info etc...(basically advanced like a the ups site).

My customer wants to combine the 2 into one big program.

Heres my question....

Should I

A)create everything in filemaker and wait till server 7 comes out to put it online.

B)Convert everything to 2 database programs (SQL and filemaker) and have Filemaker become a frontend for SQL?

my concerns...

a) with using a pure filemaker database for the web will I be able to do advanced web projects with it... Example add flash or anything like that

: If I have 2 databases SQL and filemaker will it be fast and is filemaker capable of being a front end for SQL?

I love SQL and I love filemaker... Ive never used SQL for anything but web and Ive never used filemaker for anything but custom software and not for the web.

just query the zipcode database from FileMaker using XML. Don't even think of doing it with filemaker. Only thing you do is looking up some rates. Why bother filemaker with 3 GIGs of data? You only need the results.

255 concurrent con. is better than 100 right?

ODBC in FM (6) was not all that impressive for more complex SQL querries but it worked a lot better on Querried Import of data then (eg. from MySQL or Access) Executing SQL on the data stored in FM...

It seems that more people here are making progress with XML than ODBC.

"1) a custom program that stores data etc.."

> What DB is used now? FM?

> Perl is good if ur good at it...otherwise a nagging & old language to deal with on the more complex web apps

FM with SQL.....what does this mean? SQL is just a language....what is the DB that would run on it? MySQL? MS SQL? Sybase? ....some other SQL based DB?

Above all....WHY convert at all? what are the issues that you have now? Why "make a a front end" with anything other than web since it seems that the core of it runs on web....consider developing a "back end/admin" section to exsiting structure.....do u really have to make a "1 package software"?

There are many things to cnsider before jumping over the rope...if u write more I am sure people here would not mind sharing their experiences and expertise.

Write some more info or take up on the offer from the developers here...sounds like ur into some planing rather than quick execution.

As far as web is concerned look for post from Mariano Peterson who alomost published a "book of a post" on the topic (XML.PHP.ASP.Lasso.CDML...)

Good Luck!

• Newbies

ok I guess I should have explain everything smile.gif

The guy im writing the software for wants a complete package software for his courier business. He wants something I can put in a box and sell it. Something that will take 30 mins to install (for a IT guy). With this new software he wants to have a software that runs his business and a instant website that is editable by the owner.

We did something like this before with a trucking company software but used a different software (it was called filepro (not filemaker)). The reason we left filepro was it wasnt powerful enough to do advanced things like PDA etc..

I did my research and played with filemaker and found it very very ez to use and create software with and its powerful. I know filemaker would be the perfect solution for the courier software but im concerned with the web publishing part. Is filemaker web publishing powerful enough to run the web portion of this package that I would like to create? The way his website is now its like UPS. He sometimes gets 2k hits a day(non bots). [color:"brown"] What im concerned about is the 100 connections limit on filemaker. The way a webpage ususally works is, you go to a connect to a web and download the page and it disconnects when viewing it. What im wondering is.. does this 100 connection limit via web mean 100 people hitting the submit button at the same time or does it mean 100 people viewing a webpage at the same time.

---------------------

"1) a custom program that stores data etc.."

> What DB is used now? FM?

[color:"blue"]DBM for the Web, And Hes using a old unix software now that he wants me to remake into something better

> Perl is good if ur good at it...otherwise a nagging & old language to deal with on the more complex web apps

[color:"blue"]Exactly this is one of the main reason I want to get out of perl and move to a ez database like filemaker

FM with SQL.....what does this mean? SQL is just a language....what is the DB that would run on it? MySQL? MS SQL? Sybase? ....some other SQL based DB?

[color:"blue"] If I was going to use a SQL it would be MySQL, but if I can do it all in filemaker I will

Above all....WHY convert at all? what are the issues that you have now?

[color:"blue"] The web page is to hard to make major changes with. We need something ezier.. As far as the software hes using now its old,clunky and is needed to be on PDAs

Why "make a a front end" with anything other than web since it seems that the core of it runs on web....

[color:"blue"] He wants it to be a 1 package software, something that controls the web and his software all in one.

FileMaker Version: 7

Platform: Windows XP

• Newbies

What you need is a plugin from Rumora (Netherland Company). The name of the Plg in is "SQLPlugin 2.1.4. It works on Mac 9 / X and Windows. It works with ODBC and much better JDBC Driver. So you need a Class 4 (pure Java) JDBC Driver. (like UNA ore SPRINTA for MS SQL Server)

There is even a MS JDBC Class 4 Driver for free. (ms.jar)

And the SQL World is your

ms.zip

• Newbies

Does anyone know this question... Seems no one can answer it...

--------------------------------------------------

[color:"red"] What im concerned about is the 100 connections limit on filemaker. The way a webpage ususally works is, you go to a connect to a web and download the page and it disconnects when viewing it. What im wondering is.. does this 100 connection limit via web mean 100 people hitting the submit button at the same time or does it mean 100 people viewing a webpage at the same time?

--------------------------------------------------

Someones gotta know this... I talked to Filemakers Tech support they had not clue.. They didnt even know the web publishing only had 100 connections...

They are only counting connections when the submit button is hit, or a find is occurring.

In general, web-servers are "stateless", and have no idea if the user is at a web page until they hit a button or link.

2000 hits over 8 hours is really nothing:

approx. 4 per minute, or 1 every 15 seconds: FM7 could handle this load - its limit is 5 at a time using IWP.

This topic is 7278 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.