Copying Fields and Value Lists to Another Database

2 letter pi

This topic is 7277 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I use value lists mostly to have consistent input in various fields. (as choice lists in other words). I have two identical databases, both with the very same set of vlaue lists. When I copy a field to the 2nd database, the link to a particular value list does not stay with the field.

Is there a way to copy both the field and its associated value list to the target database... so that accessing the field brings up the same choice list as in the first database?? confused.gif[email protected]

FileMaker Version: 6

Platform: Windows 2000

Try copying a field formatted as a POP-UP LIST...

One field that I try to copy from one database to a 2nd identical database and NOT lose the attached value list is a field formatted as a POP-UP LIST based on a 3rd database that contains only the values for the value list. [like using a table of values in MicroSoft Access] (Is this gibbersih yet???) I go to layout mode, select the field to copy, chose copy then go to the 2nd database and choose paste....is there more to it than that? Then, in Browse mode, when I choose the field it no longer acts as a pop-up list.

THANKS for yoiur help!

Where is the 3rd database located in relation to the copy? If it's in a different folder, that's probably your issue. If you format the field in Layout Mode, it will probably show 'pop-up list using value list <unknown>'.

All THREE databases are in the same folder. I learned that lesson the hard way a long time ago.

Just a shot in the dark....could it make a difference HOW I copied the database in the first place?:)

I right clicked and chose copy, clicked on the desktop, then right clicked and chose paste. Pretty straight forward.

Thanks for your continued effort to help!!!

I am sorry. The files are at work and I don't remember how the fields are formatted without looking.

I'll try to look tomorrow.

Again, thanks a bunch.

PS - unrelated question: The official FileMaker site used to have a list of all the recognizable corporations, educaitonal institutions, etc.

that used FileMaker in some respect. Any clues where I might find such a list?:) I work for a major educatinal institution and BIll Gates

has made MS Access the "preferred" database here. (Well, of course, by buying his way in!! It certainly is NOT because of a superior

product!!)

FileMaker Version: 6

Platform: Windows 2000

It sounds to me your field isn't formatted as "popup-list" in the file you're copying to.

As for the company links, it appears they have been split out into areas (education, non-profit, etc).

If you go the the "K-12" or "Higher education" areas and select "customer stories" you get the page:

http://www.filemaker.com/customers/stories/K.html

http://www.filemaker.com/customers/stories/Higher.html

Large corporations are here:

http://www.filemaker.com/customers/stories/Medium-Large.html

This topic is 7277 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.