Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Cancel Open Script

This topic is 7314 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

With v.6 the script runs when you "Open" the file, but not when the file is accessed via a relationship or by Perform Script [external]. What I do with my Opener files is to create another tiny file, which has only the master password. I generally create a Constant field, and a relationship to a Constant field in the Opener file. I put the related Opener::Constant field on the layout. Then when I open the "Key" file, the Opener file is opened hidden. I go to the Window menu and drop down to it.

I only give the Key file to a knowledgeable person at the clients business, who knows how to use it to redirect or otherwise modify Opener files.

In v.7 the On Open scripts run whenever a window of the file opens, not just when the file is "opened." This makes it somewhat difficult to get to the file without running the script (which is a "feature," better security). I've only had to do this once, and was able to running a Halt script in the Opener. But it wasn't easy; don't think I really have a "method" yet.

Thanks, but here is my problem. I have a file with about 20 relationships and it runs on a server. Somewhere the relationships got corrupted and the open script opens them all. When the file tries to open it crashes. I need to figure out a way to bypass the open script.

Create a totally new file. In this new file, create 1 field. Then create a relationship to the file you want to bypass the open script - it doesn't matter if the relationship even works, it will still open the file without running the opener script.

As dykstrl (what a name ???-) says, create a file. You could create relationships to each of your other files. It could be trouble if one of them has a portal or related field using a corrupted relationship on the current layout. As soon as you drop down to the window it may crash.

As I said, you can also use Perform Script [External,""]. It would be great if every file had a script "Go to Layout ["Blank"]" script. Then you could call that script via Perform Script [External,""]. If you have any script that goes to a "safe" layout you could call that.

But I guess you want to know which relationship is corrupt. It could also be a graphic or layout that is corrupt. Do you know which layout is causing the crash, or is it more widespread?

Do you have a backup that is functional? Then you could recover the files and import the data. The files that keep crashing are going to be unreliable to use even if you do manage to isolate and fix the problem.

This topic is 7314 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.