Credit card field appearance

This topic is 7282 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I want do a couple of things with credit card numbers.

How can I have the numbers appear in this form xxxx xxxx xxxx xxxx instead of xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx so it is easier to read?

I also want the person to be able to enter the number without having to tab if the above solution requires 4 separate fields.

I have created a verification of the current field I am using by having them enter the number twice and setting the second field to = the first. Is this the best/simplest solution for making sure they have entered the number from the credit card correctly?

Thank you in advance for your help

FileMaker Version: 6

Platform: Mac OS X Panther

Welcome shaunreport. You might want to check out Brian Dunning's website http://www.briandunning.com/filemaker-pro/ . At the bottom of the page (although the entire website is great) is something called Credit Card Validator.

It is very simple to use (so Users will only have to enter once). It validates most (all?) types of charge cards. I'm just playing with it now (and several other things) and I like his work.

Also, do a search... There are many wonderful offerings on this forum regarding credit card validations. No need to reinvent the wheel if you don't have to. smile.gif

The problem is, Shaun, that credit card numbers vary in length. So you can not use a calculation to mask the card number and simply display dashes between each fourth. It won't be accurate. If you will view that demo's CardKind calculation, you will see what I mean.

If you don't want Users to enter dashes, that would be fine also. wink.gif

Use this calc to determine Card Kind and find out which cards have dashes where. Then create your masking calc to display dashes depending upon whether Discover or Visa or whatever. Give us a list of the cards and how they list (4-4-4-4) and we will help you put together a Case calculation which will then mask your regular field and produce the necessary dashes.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.