Server Maintenance This Week. ×

This topic is 7311 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hello, I have a database that has 2 fields. One field is a value list and in that list is Small Medium and Large when I select Small I would like the other field to automatically enter 1 and when Medium is selected I would like it to enter 2.

I am trying to create a IF statement to put in the auto enter calculation. But I have no Idea how to do this.

Could someone please help.

Thanks.

Chris.

FileMaker Version: 7

Platform: Windows XP

Sorry but Im a little bit confused. I tried this in the statement

Case(test = "Small"; 1)

Just to see if it would do it when small was selected. It would'nt work. Im a complete novice to statements and could do with a little bit more info.

Thankyou if you can help.

Chris

Be sure to match the wording exactly as your Value List shows it. This should be Auto-Entry by calculation on your number field. Are you putting your field name in place of 'test' or 'text'? Try double-clicking to insert your field name instead of typing it and be sure to unclick "Do not replace..."

It works so something is amiss. I can attach a sample if you wish but check your settings first. If you still can't get it to work, attach your file. smile.gif

Thanks for the relpy.

I cant find the "Do Not Replace Existing Value for Field..." anywhere. The Field does'nt change though when you change it from Small to large. It only works on new records. Is that what the "Do Not Replace Existing Value for Field..." is for.

Could you please tell me where this option is.

Cheers for all the help.

That's is why it isn't changing, Chris. That uncheck on "Do Not Replace Existing Value..." is critical for it to change each time the entry in your Value List field changes.

When you first bring up your field options and tab to Auto-Enter, you will see it right below the Calculated Value (specify). It's a new goodie in vs. 7. smile.gif

This topic is 7311 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.