Help! I don't know what I'm doing.

This topic is 7282 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I am using FileMaker 6 on windows xp and FileMaker Server 5.5 on a mac with OS 9.1. I can't find anything that tells me how to hook the two together. I have installed both products and I can remotely connect to the server but that doesn't get me anywhere. I don't know how to get my database from filemaker to filemaker server. I'm not even sure if I have set them up correctly. THe documentation that comes with the products is useless and I need help. Thanks.

FileMaker Version: 6

Platform: Windows XP

You may be trying the wrong method. You don't use the operating system's networking to connect them. You do NOT want to share the files via the operating system. The folder with the database files must NOT be shared (in fact sharing for the entire machine should be off, according to FileMaker; this is somewhat controversial; I'm couldn't say).

FileMaker has its own cross-platform networking built in. All you need is a fixed ip address on the "server" machine. Then use the Open Remote menu command in FileMaker, on the client machine. Put the ip address of the server machine in and you should see the databases.

Of course, FileMaker networking preferences must be set to TCP/IP and the individual file's Sharing must be set to multi-user. But that's about it.

MFerguson:

Welcome to the Forums.

Load the databases into a folder in the FileMaker Server folder on the Mac you're using as a server. On that Mac, you want to turn AppleTalk off, and make sure it is talking on the network via TCP/IP. When you start FileMaker Server, it should show that it is hosting all the files you put in the folder. Make sure that FileMaker Server is set to host via TCP/IP...

On your Windows client machine, make sure you're connecting via TCP/IP, etc (you say you can remotely connect to the server, so all the settings should be fine.) Then, launch FileMaker Pro, go to "Open Remote.." and you should see your FM Server & the files it is hosting. Sometimes you've got to manually enter the IP address of the server in the Open Remote dialog, just to get it going...

-Stanley

• Newbies

ok. I understand what you are saying but let me give you a little more information. I am using something called the dragon to create surveys. I don't know where it is creating the database. I open the dragon from a folder and the dragon runs on top of file maker. What do I do to get the database over onto the server. I might just be that I am confused but I don't understand.

Mark

This topic is 7282 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.