Multi Hop Data Delay

This topic is 7299 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi All,

I have an event database that contains school and student information. I'm trying to make a form where the data entry person inputs the school number and the school information will be populated via a relationship to the school database via the school number. The school database has links to other tables, in this case the region and management databases.

The problem I'm running into is that after entering the school number on the events form only the fields that are from the school database are filled in. Fields from the region and management database remain empty until I leave the record and then move back to it. There are some cases where I have to do this multiple times before the information is displayed.

Is there any way for me to have this information displayed right away when the school number is entered? Thanks.

FileMaker Version: Dev 7

Platform: Mac OS X Jaguar

CoZiMan-

I think I may have found a way to get the multi hop data to show itself immediately. In my case I hade to place all the school related data into a portal and then have the school number outside of the portal. This way when I entered the school number the leave the field the all the data, including the data via multiple hops, show up immediately. Of course I removed the stroke from the portal to make it seem like the data was showing up directly on the layout.

I

I'm not sure you are actually breaking any guidelines. The field that you place outside of the portal is the field that is in your main table, in my case the event table. The fields in the portal are the fields form the related database, again in my case the school table. The relationship between the event table and school table is made via the field that sits outside the portal and its related field in the school table.

If this breaks any guidelines then I guess I'll have to pay for it. There seems to be no other way to get the multi hop data to show up directly without using a portal. If there is I have no clue what it is.

This topic is 7299 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.