Search query

This topic is 7298 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have a field with a possibilty of 5 numbers in that field (1,2,3,4 or 5)

Now I am performing a find to pull certain groups of people. Now I have to find all the people in groups 1-4 and 2-5 and 1,2,4,5 and etc.

I have pulled all the people in groups 1 thru 4 and 2-5 very easily - using the range feature: find 1...4 and find 2...5 and all but the 2s using 1...>2, but what formula would I use to eliminate the 3s and another search to elimite the 4s. In other words how would I search for all the people that have number 1,2,4,5 in one field as one group and 1,2,3,5

Thanks

Lester

FileMaker Version: 6

Platform: Mac OS X Panther

Lester,

It sounds like it will be easier to find the group of records you don't want, then to look at all the others.

what formula would I use to eliminate the 3s and another search to elimite the 4s

Try searching for all the 3s, the using the "Show Omitted" button. Same for the fours. Either that, or use multiple find requests i.e., New Find Request 1...2 New Find Request 4...5 Find.

You could script this fairly easily so it is a push-button function....

Paul smile.gif

I have other field criteria to consider. I am also seperating the data by years. so I am trying to find all the 1,2,4,5s (together) for 2003. If I look for omitted doesn't that bring in in all the rest of the data from all the years past?

Yes, if you are adding more search criteria, the "Find Omitted" method will show ALL records that were not include in the original found set (i.e., all the non-3's). Sorry, I was dealing with the groups thing, and did not consider additional search parameters..... blush.gif

The quick and ugly way to do the search for group 3 during 2003 is by using multiple find requests (see attached):

Find Request 1: Groups 1...2

Find Request 2: Groups 4...5

Find Request 3: Date 1/1/2003...12/31/2003

Good Luck!

FindRequests.zip

This topic is 7298 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.