Missing Files

This topic is 7317 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Using FileMaker Pro 7 with Mac OSX 10.2.8, I converted a set of 4 files that were in FileMaker 3.

Three of the files are related to a main file on "company id." In the 3 files I get a <File Missing > where Company Name should be. A calculated (concatenated) field shows properly! When I go to the Define Relationship window I am unable to link on the related field. There are no fields shown in any file other than the file from which I open the graphic relationship window.

All data is in the files. Layouts are there, etc. If I open each file in a graphic relationship window, all the fields are shown for the "starting" file.

What does it take to relink these files?

Thanks for help.

Did you convert your files one at a time or did you use the "batch conversion" method? If all your files were in one folder before conversion and you used the batch conversion method...all your relationships should have carried over. If you do them one at a time, or if the files were in different folders / drives / etc. --- it makes things a little trickier when it comes to keeping everything together.

SR

Yes, I did have all files in one folder. And I did follow instructions. One of the files was corrupted before conversion. I was hoping to reestablish links after conversion since FM7 Pro shows the path name. Even replacing path name with correct relative and later full path name did not work.

Also 2 uncorrupted files do not link to the main file. If the relationship is shown in the relationship graph, why doesn't FM7 "get it"?

I read somewhere about files need to be related from two directions. Is there more to do?

Dan Weiss of Buddy Systems solved the problem. Fields in the linked table were not specified. All that was needed was to double click on each field in the linked table and indicate the file where it is located. The fields then showed correctly in the portal layout.

This topic is 7317 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.