Application crashing with memory error

EllenG

This topic is 7294 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have a runtime application developed in FMP/DEV 6. I have a potential client running Win2k who is having a problem with my program crashing. It appears to be a memory conflict, but we can't determine the cause. It does not always crash in the same database or function, but she gets the same error message each time:

The Instruction at "0x77805a10" referenced memory at "0x0021e000".

The memory could not be read.

Click OK to terminate program.

Anybody ever see this problem or know how to resolve it...??

I have about 200 users from Win98 to Win2k, and this is the first time I've seen this problem. She likes my software and wants to purchase it, but (of course) only if we can resolve this problem.

Thanks.

I've seen something like this with some programs (not filemaker) I've distributed for Win 95/98. The issue was usually related to an incorrect driver for the video card being used.

Check all their settings against their installed hardware to see if there are any oddities there.

... especially if she has any non-standard hardware installed, or anything she installed herself. I had a client recently have FM (non-runtime) repeatedly crap out with a memory access error, turns out he had installed an optical memory drive and a USB flash memory card, he had re-partitioned his hard drive for no good reason... in short, he had loaded something on there that caused a conflict.

My opinion of him is that he's not worth the money. He'll cost us more in support than we'll ever get back for maintenance charges. BEWARE THE TINKERER... smile.gif

J

Is that PC the sole one you have tried to run the solution on at the user's site? If not try it on a similar PC there to see if you get the same crashes. Also you could try running the solution on the same PC that has been crashing but log in with a different user account, preferably one with admin privliges.

Thank you for the replies. I had her load it to another PC and she says it works fine, so at least she knows it's just her PC and not the program. I suggested she check all things mentioned above; also to run a full virus scan, disk scan and disk defrag. Now, it's up to her...

This topic is 7294 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.