transitive (chained) relations

raval

This topic is 7299 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Forgive my ignorance, I know this must be a basic question -- I've mucked around the relationship forum and haven't found an answer.

1. I'm making a bilingual dictionary database (English and Ojibwe, an Amerindian language)

2. Each word can have one or more senses. I accomplish this with two tables, a word table and a sense table -- the sense table shares an identifier field with the word table.

3. Each sense can have multiple keywords associated with it. For example, the Ojibwe word minogaade means 's/he has cute legs' -- key words associated with the sense 's/he has cute legs' might be 'cute' and 'leg.' A sense can have any number of key words. I accomplish this with a keyword table that shares an id with the sense.

So we can get from say a word (minogaade) to a sense 's/he has cute legs' to key words 'cute' 'legs'. But to display everything properly _word by word_, what do I do? I can make a portal to hold the senses -- then do I make another portal to hold the key words? Ideally, the key word portal would be _inside_ the senses portal -- I can't seem to do this. Can anyone clue me about what I'm doing wrong? The issues would seem to be relevant to any _chained_ relationships, which must be quite common. Thanks.

Portals cannot be nested. You must look for another solution. I would suggest have mutiple portals on the same layout. The first portal show the available words. Clicking on one would select the word by setting a global that is the wordID. Then next portal could list all the senses for that word as defined by the wordID

Good luck.

This topic is 7299 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.