Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Problems connecting from XP Pro to FMS thru WAN

This topic is 7281 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Dear all,

I am having some issues getting two offices connected to a FileMaker Server.

We have our FileMaker Server running on Win2K Pro in New York. All NY FMP5/W2KPro clients can connect to the box. We want to allow the people in the DC office to access the database. Both offices have T1's. When I take my W2KPro laptop to DC, I can open the database in NY with no problems, aside from some latency. But none of the DC WinXPPro machines can open the NY database. They cannot see the NY server in hosts when I put in the IP Address of the NY FM Server.

What's interesting is that when I open a command window and type netstat, it sees no open connections. For those that may ask, FMP is already set to TCP.

The DC network has a Novell Netware/Groupwise server. All users have to log in centrally to Netware, whereas in NY, we have only local logins.

I was hoping somebody had some experience or insight into this problem.

Regards,

Salman

Will,

I can ping the New York server via IP. The DC XP clients are not running any sort of local firewall. My own laptop from home can open the NY DB from DC. Local machines can open FM databases off of said laptop when on the DC LAN.

Any additional insight would be greatly appreciated.

Salman

Sounds like XP is having problems seeing W2KPro servers. I'm having a similar issue with a W2KPro box hosting the file and my XPPro machine claiming single user status is preventing it from opening the W2KPro file. Could this really the issue?

Salman,

Since you can connect and they can't there has got to be something either in their machine configuration or in the network router/firewall that prevents them from connecting. When you are there, do you connect to the internet in the same way they are doing?

HTH

Wim

This topic is 7281 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.