Need Suggestions

This topic is 8272 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I am new to Filemaker Pro 5.5. But, not totally new to databases. What I am looking for is a way to shorten the process of finishing a record and going to a new record. It would help me if I could get the best way to lessen the response needed to do this. I know about command-n but, I would like a way to just use a single key and not a key combination to attain this. Now I have some idea of how the scripts work but, have never really tried it before. Since my database is extremely large and requires a lot of typing to get things entered each day, I am trying to attain a more automateed way of doing things. Is there a way to get where I am headed or is the script process the best idea?:?

• Newbies

Thank you,

I was afraid that what I wanted was not exactly possible. But it was worth the try anyway. Filemaker is great and I like it, just wish there was a way to program something like the function keys to make it even more useful. I am using it for several things right now but, one of them in particular is for my stamp collection which at the moment contains some 33,000 items. It gets a tad boring to hit command-n all the time, if it were possible to use a single function key that would be great. It would also be nice if one could make a timed backup to another drive without having to drag stuff. But, what the heck maybe I am expecting too much!!!! Still love it though!!!!!!!!

• Newbies

Thanks,

that gave me the idea of where to look and what to look for. I just bought Quickeys 5. Works like a champ. No muss no fuss. Programed F12 for command-n, and it works like a champ. Automation, is the best medicine you can buy!!!!!!!!

The only way I can think of the reduce the process to a single key stroke is to use an additional utility. If you set a function key to command-n or command-1, you can create a new record by using the key sequence or a script positioned and checked to appear in the scriptmaker menu, respectively. The other option would be to use a FM plug-in to trigger a script on the exit of a particular field, a little dangerous.

-bd

This topic is 8272 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.