Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Value List Disappears?

This topic is 7280 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I am trying to use a value list from another file. When I create the value list in the other file, then click ok, the name of the value list does not show up -- instead I get <value list missing>. It seems the values in the list itself are maintained, just not the name. When I format the field in the portal (format -> field format -> popup list, etc.) the name of the value list is not in the list, just a blank space. I can even choose (guess) the right blank space and it works. Anyone have any idea what is going on here?

Thanks in advance!

Elizabeth

Create a Field in both files

~Constant, Calculation, Number Result = 1

I'll describe the files as such:

FileA = Where you want to use the values from FileB

FileB is where the values reside.

Create a relationship in FileA to FileB using the ~Constant field.

In Layout Mode, select the field in FileA you want to use the values in, and selct the Relationship Using ~Constant, which will give you the list of fields in FileB, choose your field with values.

HTH

Lee

Hello, Lee and Detlev.

I have always been able to successfully use value lists from another file without a relationship, though this is so strange I'm willing to try Lee's suggestion.

To (try to) be more clear:

I define the value list in datastorage.fp5 called Meal Violation & it is simply a boolean check box (value = 1). I also define a field there called Meal Violation that is a number field & will be formatted to be the value list.

In the other file, program.fp5, I have a portal to datastorage. When I drag the field Meal Violation into the portal and try to format it using the value list from datastorage, there is no Meal Violation in the external value list drop down. There is, however, extra blank space where the list should be, and on a whim, I chose that blank space and it used the correct value list.

The mystery is why datastorage won't hold the name of my value list. The values are there, but I still get the <value list missing> for the title & a blank when accessing it from the other file.

Does that help at all? It is so strange.

Thanks again,

Elizabeth

Hi Detlev,

dbruggmann said:

Why, Lee? You don't need a relationship.....

Why? Because I shouldn't answer questions until after I've had my second cup of coffee. You are correct of course, there is no need for a relationship. blush.gif

Hi Elizabeth,

Please accept my apology for the miss information, I hope you haven't wasted a lot of time trying to do this.

Hopefully others will be more help.

It sounds like the file could be corrupt?

Lee

This topic is 7280 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.