bug in Portals???

This topic is 7260 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have noticed that as you scroll down the portal on a record, and you reach the bottom, it does a kind of bounce, then starts to screw up the look of the records being displayed. The actual records are ok, just viewing them only. Am I the only one seeing this problem? I also tried to update the V2 update, but it won't work without the CD... and seeing that I bought the program from a download, I don't know what to do... maybe the problem is fixed with the update... any ideas or comments?

I have the problem too, though I can't recall where! I also haven't yet applied the update.

The problem is that the screen redraw mangles the records that were initially past the bottom of the portal -- as if in scrolling whenever the line at the bottom of the portal box happens to occur half-way through a field, then the field "owns" that overdrawn line and some associated whitespace from then on (as it moves up in the portal) and becomes illegible. If I remember right, it required me to abandon the scroll arrows and drag the scroll box up and down repeatedly before things become clear again... I assume this is the same problem.

I'll try to re-find a portal that *has* this problem before updating, so that I can monitor whether anything improves.

I just got the update working... and same thing. ESpringer, that is right. I is redrawing the last row, like it is bouncing back and forth untill the entire portal is full of that row. So my employees are having a hard time scrolling through and knowing where the records end. I think it is a major bug.

A (short term) fix...assuming you are all seeing the same thing...

Try defining your portals to something other than ZERO line thickness and see if that makes a difference. If it is the same thing I have seen...it should.

SR

I just got off the phone with Filemaker Tech... they don't know what it is either. They had me do some cloneing and imports and also cloning with creating new records, ect... but nothing. I will try what Neverland said.

Neverland said:

A (short term) fix...assuming you are all seeing the same thing...

Try defining your portals to something other than ZERO line thickness and see if that makes a difference. If it is the same thing I have seen...it should.

SR

Neverland, that solved it. I was on the phone with tech last night for over an hour doing everything they asked of me.... Thanks bud!

Well, I contacted tech again to close the support ticket and the guy was kind of acting like he knew it, but thought it wasn't anything major. Oh well. I hope no one else has been pulling their hair out trying to find a reason why that is happening, talking with people, putting the hours in. And it all boils down to a line problem. hahahhaha

This redraw problem is not minor. Try making one of the fields in your portal a button, and link it to a "go to related record" script step. Often you will end up somewhere other than you expected--and this means that if you are using buttons linked to scripts in a portal to change the related record, it will sometimes change the wrong record. Ugh.

I found similar problems with portals in header and footer of a document in FM7v1.

Thanks for the work-around, but I am choosing instead to implement all portals so that "scrolling" is done through FM scripts. It is a pain in the blush.gif, but it looks nicer and is more reliable.

Alan H said:

Try making one of the fields in your portal a button, and link it to a "go to related record" script step. Often you will end up somewhere other than you expected--and this means that if you are using buttons linked to scripts in a portal to change the related record, it will sometimes change the wrong record. Ugh.

I saw this one time, but it wasn't with a field. It was just a regular graphic turned into a button. I don't know why it did that, but I did something, can't remember, but it worked. But currently, I do have my ID fields as links and I haven't see that problem yet. But I will keep an eye on it just in case.

This topic is 7260 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.