Crashes, corruption, confusion!

This topic is 7235 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hello,

We are having a problem with an eight file solution. It is hosted on a Mac (OS 9) running FMP Server 5.5. Users range from W2K, 98, Mac OS9 & Mac OSX. We suspect that we have one or more corrupt files. There is some strange behavior with some relationships (lost) and value lists (show up on OS9, don't show up on OSX, etc.).

I have a bunch of questions, if you will indulge me.

How can we figure out which file is corrupt? We have already re-built the largest from scratch. Is there any method or tool that can scan the files for corruption?

Is it true that multiple crashes on a PC (as opposed to a Mac) would cause permanent damage, or does the platform make any difference?

We do have backup copies of everything, but how do we know how far back to go? Even if the broken relationships look ok, my understanding is that the corruption may be present anyway.

Any guidance on where to go from here would be greatly appreciated. Rebuilding everything from scratch is a horrifying prospect.

Thanks so much,

Elizabeth

Hi Elizabeth,

[color:"blue"]

> We are having a problem with an eight file solution. It is hosted on a Mac (OS

> 9) running FMP Server 5.5. Users range from W2K, 98, Mac OS9 & Mac OSX. We

> suspect that we have one or more corrupt files. There is some strange behavior

> with some relationships (lost) and value lists (show up on OS9, don't show up

> on OSX, etc.).

I'm not very knowledgeable in FMP Server, so I can't address your concerns here, except to say that isn't OSX a possible problem?[color:"blue"]

>

> I have a bunch of questions, if you will indulge me.

> How can we figure out which file is corrupt? We have already re-built the

> largest from scratch. Is there any method or tool that can scan the files for

> corruption?

There are a couple of utilities provided by David McKee that maybe helpfult to you, you can take a look at them at his site, and they are FREE.

http://www.geocities.com/slipdaddyneo/plPLUGs.html

> Is it true that multiple crashes on a PC (as opposed to a Mac) would cause

> permanent damage, or does the platform make any difference?

I've never heard this before, crashes (improper closing) of FileMaker files on a Mac will cause file corruption too.

> We do have backup copies of everything, but how do we know how far back to go?

> Even if the broken relationships look ok, my understanding is that the

> corruption may be present anyway.

Take a look at these two files for help examining your solutions.

MetaDataMagic By: New Millennium Available at either

http://www.newmillennium.com/

or [color:"red"](Pluse, there are other utilities here that may also be helpful to you!)

http://www.fmfiles.com/dev1.html

FM Checker available at:

http://www.fmchecker.com/?ref=chk1.0a3

Both utilities will give you some facts about your file, and provide a count of the number of times the files were "Not Properly Close", might be an eye opener, on the shape of your files.

> Any guidance on where to go from here would be greatly appreciated. Rebuilding

> everything from scratch is a horrifying prospect.

HTH

Lee

Thanks, Lee. You are always so thoughtful and thourough in your responses. I'm sure I speak for many, many others when I say you save others time & headache with your expertise.

After some thought, we have decided to scrap all of the dbs and start over in FMP7. It felt too risky to have a solution that could be marketed with possible corruption, plus FMP7 seemed the more forward thinking way to go.

Again, thanks. I'm sure I'll have many, many questions about developing in 7. Haven't even touched it yet!

Elizabeth

Thank you for you nice comments. blush.gif

I didn't mean to scare you off of v5.x though.

Be sure that the different flavors or your current operating systems and platform configurations will play well with v7.

Thanks again for you kind words.

Lee

cool.gif

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Gregory,

Well Done.

Thank you for pointing us to your Article. We have an Article Area here at the Forums too, why not post it here too?

The topic of File Corruption comes up on these lists all of the time, and I anticipate I will be pointing to your article often.

Thanks again,

Lee

cool.gif

• Newbies

i have a question..has anybody ever experienced installing filemaker pro 6 into a network? the thing is in our case, only one person at a time can access the database..any suggestions on how to do this? please let me know..

thanks

It sounds like you may be trying to access the database from multiple computers with only one license. FM checks the network for other open copies of the program, and if it finds a match on the license key, it won't open a second instance of it. Helps them control piracy.

If you're trying to open the same database with different licenses, that's another matter. Additionally, you should read up on the usage of FM Pro in a network setting, a topic recently covered in this thread .

This topic is 7235 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.