Changing field in legacy application

This topic is 7259 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hi. Please bear with me.

A friend of my wife's has asked if I could 'fix' her Filemaker application on MacOS 9.x (not sure which version, guessing 5/6). She bought a home-based aromatherapy business including the iMac and its applications and client base (I guess). The original owner/programmer is unreachable.

The problem is, when she prints labels, there is a field that doesn't show in the label document. It's a warning, "External Use Only". I have looked around in page/print setups, document prefs, layout views, etc., etc., and cannot find this field. She wants to modify or remove this line from the labels.

Can some kind soul point me to how I can locate this field for modification/deletion?

Thank you very much for any assistance.

Hi, Davo! Hmm.. that seems odd to me but what if you make a new layout for your labels?

LAYOUT MODE > NEW LAYOUT (labels) > choose label type

Then, just choose what fields you want on the label. In layout mode, you can change the fonts and arrange the fields as you like. If you're using an older version of FileMaker, you have to drag the fields around and possibly use the SLIDING OBJECTS feature. If you're using a newer version, it should let you use MS Word style "merge fields" <<fieldname>> which may be easier for you.

If you'd rather just fix the old layout, I'd suggest making a duplicate of the layout (LAYOUTS > DUPLICATE LAYOUT) and then start clicking and deleting stuff until you find it... maybe do a SELECT ALL And change the background color on all the fields to something easily visible. I'm not sure why it would not be visible, though, if it prints out.

If you're really stuck and can't get it after a bit of tinkering, let me know and I'll send you my e-mail address and I'll just try to fix it for you. I have Mac versons of FMP 2.1, 4.0, 5.0, 5.5, and 6.0.

--ST

• Newbies

Woot, thanks a bunch! The labels are like a page of the same thing, so I don't know why it didn't occur to me to just create new ones from scratch. It's just like a sheet of _this_mixture_, _these_contents_ tiled to coveron a pre-printed page of sticky labels.

This topic is 7259 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.